Friday, August 5, 2011

Possible Delay

Today I got a call from AFS, but it wasn't exactly the type of call I was hoping for! It was from Janelle, who is an AFS-USA outbound advisor. Basically, she said that if AFS Belgium doesn't find a welcoming or a permanent host family for me by next Friday (August 12th), my departure will be delayed from August 17th to the 30th. At first I was really mad and upset, but after I cooled down a little bit I called Janelle. She answered all my questions and made me feel a lot better about the whole situation. I decided that leaving late isn't the end of the world. I would still go to a big orientation in NYC with other students going to Europe, and an orientation in Brussels like normal. The only difference would be the time, and the fact that there would be about 20 students in Brussels rather than 93 (and only 3 from the US rather than 12). I've also talked to the other two girls from the US that are in the same situation as me, which has helped me feel a little bit better about the whole deal.
I'm still crossing my fingers (and toes and all crossible body parts) that I'll get a host family in the next week, but I'm starting to accept that it won't be the end of the world if I don't. Janelle said that if she hears anything about a host family, she'll call right away. (Cue me sitting anxiously by the phone all week!)

Hopefully I'll be updating soon with more news, but that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment